Friday, November 13, 2009

Zac starts Cub Scouts

I never realized how exciting it was to turn 8. Well being a girl, I guess you can't blame me for not knowing how fun cub scouts was. I was 10 when my brother turned 8, and going to Pack Meeting was not exactly a major party. I'm not sure what I expected from scouts as a mom. Ok for anyone reading this - Don't tell Zac - but I totally forgot about scouts. It wasn't even on my radar.

Zac turned 8 on Tues and his Wolf group meets on Wednesday, so he got to go to scouts for the 1st time the day after he turned 8. The first activity was bike-riding. Zac hasn't quite mastered riding on 2 wheels yet (I'm sure that a way too small bike doesn't help). I called his leader to see if he could ride his scooter instead. She said it would be fine, but it might be hard to keep up. The boys road to our stake center which is down the road quite a ways, and the leaders said that Zac kept up with all the other boys on bikes. He took one big spill but got right back on for another try. He is WAY TOUGH.

The next week they had a Halloween party and this past week was his 1st Pack Meeting. In a trial by fire welcome to scouts blaze of glory, the first pack meeting was Pine Wood Derby. We learned the lesson of not making the car for FHE the day before the race. I was impressed at how many of the cars looked like the boys had worked hard to make them, not just painted the car that dad made. Each racer got to race 4 times. The slowest time was dropped and winners crowned based on top 3 scores. Zac didn't win, but ended up a close 2nd in the last heat. He won the award for "A Lightening Fast Car." Scott's being reading Harry Potter to the kids and Zac put a Harry Potter lightening bolt on the top of the car.

It is so amazing to watch my kids grow up. I'm so thankful that my Heavenly Father lets me have a piece of these kids that belong to him. I'm so proud of all the accomplishments Zac has made in just 8 years. Can't wait for the next.

2 comments:

Krystal said...

Sounds like a ton of fun, can't wait until Logan is 8. Sad though, we would have had a boy in scouts already. I guess I'll just have to wait another 4 years-bummer. Looking forward to it though. I'm glad he's enjoying it and you too.

Jeron & Brook said...

Welcome to the club! It is so much fun but I am happy for you that you have some time between the boys and you won't have to do both of them at once! Having the boys overlap the way they have has made for some crazy days!