Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Quiet

My house is quiet. Okay it's not really quiet, the dishwasher, washing machine and dryer are all running, and my ChaCha doorbell is ringing. But the 3 kids who are home are actually having quiet time in their new rooms. And they are actually being quiet. We haven't had actual quiet time for . . . well I can't remember when the last time was. It is so nice for my brain to be able to think about home stuff. Usually I can only think in the shower, or on the rare occasions when I'm alone in the car. In the shower, I'm always obsessing about my dreams or making a list of the things I need to do that day, or thinking hmmmmm HOT WATER. Usually I'm only alone in the car when I'm on my way somewhere - thinking about the Pampered Chef show, did I remember the quilt block, etc. Now I can think about . . . well I can think about anything.

I opened the curtains in my room, which I haven't done all winter. It's stormy outside but the sunshine is so nice. The snow is finally all melted from the yard and soon we'll start to see the shoots of new flowers and the grass will start to turn green. It feels like I spend my whole life wishing the days away, or being so consumed will all the jobs I've got to get done today. Then suddenly tomorrow is today. Today in the quiet, I was thinking, someday almost every day will be this quiet. In 2 years I'll have all 4 kids in school. In 3, they will all be gone from 8-3 Monday thru Friday. They are so much fun as they get older, and smarter, and more independent. Will I enjoy them then as I much as I do now? Will I wish away all my tomorrows and wonder what happened when they all leave to be grownup?

I love the quiet, and I love that my kids are growing up. I was never one to wish back the baby stage. I didn't miss them sleeping in my arms (maybe because they never did) or rocking a screaming baby to sleep. I think I'll miss the funny things that they do and say everyday. I may even miss them playing in the water in the bathroom sink (and soaking themselves and the floor), and running down the hall at church panties in hand - dress pulled up to nose. Today's quiet was a good reminder to not skip past everything. I'm very thankful for something as small as a quiet house, if even for only an hour.

No comments: