Thursday, November 27, 2008

Obsession

Okay I admit it, I'm fully obsessed. I love a good story. It is the best form of escape. I can travel to far away places and meet interesting people and have adventures . . . do things that I would never never dare to do. I love all types of stories, sci fi, fantasy, legal, historical, romance, mystery. I get immersed in the story and the characters become real people to me. It doesn't matter the medium: written, spoken, or seen. If the story is good enough I can devour it again and again and again. Each time I do, I catch different pieces that make a more complete picture of the story.

Last night Scott and I were talking about movies. Lately almost all of the movies I have fallen in love with (read obsessed about) have been based off of some of my favorite books. Narnia, Harry Potter, Twilight . . . Yes, I hang my head in shame to admit, I became obsessed with Twilight. I hate "jumping on the latest bandwagon" but I love the story. I dislike the characters at times (most of the time) and even at one point I through Eclipse across the room in frustration and then ran to pick it up because I had to know what happens next.

Alaina, I hope you can forgive me. A bunch of ladies from the ward went to the Twilight movie. It was like 9th grade and even though I KNEW the movie was going to be horrible, I was giddy to have been invited. Someone drove their 15 passenger van and the grown women were a little like screaming fan girls. We did manage to not scream at the movie screen when Edward was introduced though. The movie was low budget and VERY VERY cheesy but I (another head hung in shame) really enjoyed it. Part of that was the frenzy of energy in the theatre but the other part was the story underneath.

Okay back to topic, Scott and I were talking about movies and the one thing I wish that Hollywood would learn from the success of Twilight (and Mamma Mia!, and Harry Potter, and Narnia, Enchanted, etc) is that you can make money with a good story. It doesn't have to be overly sexual, or violent, or have bad language. It just needs to have a good story. The action movies have a place. The epic Oscar seeking movies have a place. A couple of times of year it would be nice to have a movie with a good story to go to. Before Twilight, the last 4 movies I went to in the theatre were all Harry Potter movies. After they are finished, what am I going to see for my yearly outing?

Hollywood, please. There are still moral people who just want to escape into a good story. Someone needs to step up to fulfil this need without making a "dumbed down" kid movie. The teenage girl/grown women audience has money to spend. We don't want to always go to the guy movie because it's the only one available. Look at the $70 million opening of Twilight and hear our plea!!!!!!

2 comments:

rachel said...

I hear you! We only go to a very few movies each year because so much of it is just not worth it. And because we have four kids, I guess. But still...

MRJK said...

A movie we liked: Martian Child.